It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Future Campaign Discussion: Dark Lords Rising (2nd Season)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:41 pm 

I think you might be getting a bit too complicated here Conners. As you have it, you'll be needing to make stats (or at least numbers), for a whole compliment of different weapons, at 5 different qualities, with rules for making them. Also, realism aside, who's going to want to take an in game year making a sword when they could have hundreds of spears by that point. That goes for anything, really. To keep it competitive, the benefit of better gear should be equally offset by the longer time it takes to make it.

As for hiring and upkeep, I'd just go with making up a figure whenever it came up, something to the tune of:
5 goblins are available this month, each with crude gear, 10 gold each to hire, 2 gold a month upkeep. Requires at least terrible grade food and lodgings.
or
1 Ogre available, no gear, 400 gold to hire, 10 gold a month. Requires crude food and large lodgings. -special note, this ogre has some skill as a smith, and can make stuff if a forge is available.

Any luck getting a hold of the guy who originally ran this for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:06 am 

Not so hard since they're generally the same weapon only at different qualities. Example:

Longsword (Average)
[ 1H, long ][ 7 ][ 8 ][ 7 ][ ST+1 ][ ST ]
[ 2H, long ][ 6 ][ 7 ][ 6 ][ ST+2 ][ ST+1 ]

Longsword (Crude)
[ 1H, long ][ 7 ][ 8 ][ 7 ][ ST ][ ST-1 ]
[ 2H, long ][ 6 ][ 7 ][ 6 ][ ST+1 ][ ST ]

Longsword (Terrible)
[ 1H, long ][ 8 ][ 8 ][ 7 ][ ST-1 ][ ST-2 ]
[ 2H, long ][ 7 ][ 7 ][ 6 ][ ST ][ ST-1 ]

The point is that you'll want to give your minions crude weapons, which can be put out en-mass in days. For Elite units, however, you might want to have a separate smith who works on better weapons. Remember that also having a full team of smiths and assistants can reduce the time to a week.

Yeah, that's what I was figuring, just need to work out the monsters and then give some numbers.

He WAS interested.... but for some reason he disappeared off the face of the Earth. Was it because I told him the thread was on another forum? Something come up? No idea... I PMed him a couple of times after he stopped replying, but got no response. Should I try PMing him again?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:46 pm 

Eh, I wouldn't. If he doesn't respond to one PM, he wont respond to two. If he has just been offline for a while, he'll get the one you've already sent him next time he checks his messages, and if he has already seen it, then he'll respond if and when he's ready. Too bad though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:53 am 

Now I just need to decide on how refining ore works... I'll have to look it up somewhere to get an idea of it, but I don't know where.