It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: OOC Thread
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:49 am 

You can use this for OOC Chat and to ask me questions about the setting plus etc. if you wish to.

As for Damian's question about dwarves:

Dwarves do occasionally work as mercenaries, and on occasion bodyguards. This is usually from strange circumstances, such as a dwarf or family of dwarves being exiled. However, in times of depression for a clan, when their mines are running low on resources and their influence is waning, it has been known for the whole clan to devote itself to the mercantile trade, until they've gained enough money that they may return to their usual way of life (though some with a taste for battle will stay and continue their work).

As for this city, dwarves are a bit less common than elves in Anur. There is a mountain settlement not far away, so dwarf visitors can be relatively common.

Post subject: Re: OOC Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:58 am 

What are the city laws like. Is this something that I would expect to ramp up to weapons or would that be taboo? Historical Saxons were regarded as warlike and I expect to be brawling here but if this is more of, for lack of better example, Conan style city I don't want to the knife guy in the gun fight.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:57 am 

Weapons are actually illegal for the general public. The exception is those of certain occupations (guards and bodyguards being the prime example), noble-blooded or honoured families, and the rich (someone who has fine armour and weapons can often be mistaken for being rich--you may have kept your weapons through this). People who enter the city that do not meet these requirements have them confiscated and stored.
Of course, regardless of the law, gangs have done a good job of smuggling weapons for their own use. In the public areas, however, they stick to concealed daggers and the like.

Armour is perfectly legal for everyone, however.

We'll need to decide on whether you have your weapons with you or not, come to think of it...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:54 pm 

Well, from this it seems that Manis is going weaponless for now, cause he isn't a noble, and he definitely doesn't look rich (I bought non-"fine" gear purposely to make him appear like a regular Joe). Carrying concealed weapons seems a bit risky for Manis's tastes as well (particularly a cutlass, which doesn't exactly lend itself to concealment, although his throwing daggers might). Perhaps he has access to certain "less than legal" methods for acquiring some in a pinch, through contacts and such? Either way, I hope I don't get jumped.

Also, were you going to post everyone's character sheets on this forum? I'd like to see the other's sheets, see what kind of team we'd make. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 am 

Wynston does not have his sword on his person then. Likely it's in a trunk in his room. He has too much time and effort involved in getting and keeping his business going to risk being hassled over carrying the sword while in town. I'm guessing he's been able to come and go with it on his trips because he does look rich. His good reputation might help him get in and out with it since he's never done anything untoward with it in town.

I'll get my combat worked out shortly, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the numbers and I have to ask what is the b in the -1b.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:38 pm 

@Regin: Well, you're doing fine as it is without weapons :mrgreen:. Besides thinking up some clever way of getting your weapon, you could always try the black market for one, or something like that. Remember you can always improvise too (you'd be surprised at what can be deadly).

As for posting everyone's sheets, I wasn't really thinking of everyone knowing each other's stats. I could post it later if you'd really like.

@Damian: Was under the impression you just got into town and were going to make your lodgings here. If you already have a place, I was already going to do another inn in the good area anyway.

b = Blunt, as in blunt damage. Sorry about that confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 pm 

Your darn right I've been doing fine :lol: . Who needs a sword when you've got a lie handy. Sounds like we'll just have to be extra cautions (or inventive, I like inventive). Should be fun. As for the character sheets, that's an interesting idea, keeping us guessing about each others skills and such. Of course, I've already used pickpocket and sneak (not obvious at all ;) ). If that's the case though, you should probably take down Jegol's (it's on the character generation thread), just to be fair. Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:30 am 

Yeah, the tongue can be sharper than the sword (especially in TRoS where the idea is to work the situation to suit you).
As for taking down Jegol's sheet, I'm really too lazy.... Plus I'm not sure if he copied it out into somewhere for himself.

On a side-note, I've been thinking bout mechanics for the next game. This might be getting ahead, but I tend to do that. If you guys played another game I was GMing, what would you think of changing the rules for skills into something more similar to combat?
Like: [Attribute] + [Skill] vs. [TN] vs. [Number of Successes].

So if you were trying to climb a rock face: ST is used for the attribute since the climb isn't too far, and Joe has a ST of 5.
The skill is climbing, but Joe's experience was mostly climbing trees as a boy, so his Climbing skill is 2.
TN is based on the situation, Joe has no climbing equipment and he needs to climb fast to escape the wolves, so the TN would be high at 8--but luckily, he succeeded at a Perception check earlier, and found a section with better footholds, reducing the total TN to 7.
Required margin of success is based on the difficulty of the task itself, being unalterable. Not such a tall rock-face, the margin needed is 4.
And so, Joe rolls 7 dice against a TN of 7, but he's unlucky and only rolls 3 successes! Instead of reaching the top, Joe is stuck most of the way up, and the wolves wait at the bottom hoping for him to fall. He'd have to make another roll to hoist himself up the last few feet.

While this is more complicated, it also makes things more cinematic and intuitive, such as Joe finding the better footholds. It also allows for the GM to better customize a situation. If you want to look at the idea further, you can see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64

So, what do you think of it? I want to stress we won't be switching to this system for this game, certainly. Just curious about your opinions for future reference.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:25 pm 

Well, for starters I am completely new to TROS as it is (not to mention online role-playing; seriously, this is my first forum game ever), so take any opinions here with a grain of salt. The guys on that thread sounded like they had a lot more experience with the system then I’ll likely ever have. However, you can take this as the viewpoint of a new player, rather then a GM, to the TROS system (although I’ve DM’ed D&D some, so the story telling & role playing aspects are familiar, just not the mechanics).

The advantages of making the switch seem to be (as far as I could tell) as follows. Firstly, to unify the skill mechanic with the combat mechanic (presumably making it simpler to learn/adjudicate). Secondly, to give more freedom to the GM’s to determine the chance of success of a skill check. Thirdly, to allow for TN adjustments to encourage smart actions on the player’s behalf.

The problems I see with the switch are as follows. Firstly, I’m not as clear as to why the mechanic of combat and that of skills have to be the same. I could understand if it did make the system easier to learn, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. In the thread, the guys mentioned rules for focusing skills (having specializations based on past experience), new charts for difficulty, having extra modifiers based on if the skill had been used before, and if the skill was trained (had points invested in it) or not. To a new player, this seems far more complicated then the system we’re currently using.

The second issue I have steams from this one. Namely, while I like very much that the GM should be able to adjust the TN based on situations, tools, or smart play by the players, it also makes the difficulty of a given task much less obvious to a player. As a player (and one who likes using skills, at that), I would be much less likely to have my character perform a given action which could have dire consequences if I did not have a clear idea as to his chance of success. The current system is fairly straight forward (example: you must roll at least one 7 {or higher} when rolling 4 ten sided dice, because your skill is 7, and you have 4 in your stat), while the system being discussed has more ambiguity (you must roll at least 4 {because it’s a semi-hard task} 7s {which may go up or down, based on your situation, with 9 dice {your skill + your attribute, in this example}). The exact numbers for that example weren’t meant to balance out exactly, just show the complexity of the system. This kind of thing can scare a player into avoiding using his skills to their full potential. I was also considered about how this would affect character generation, particularly the shift in importance away from skills and towards attributes (which, for many characters, are already more important, as they matter more in combat). However, it seems this was addressed fairly well in the thread. Unfortunately, what I saw as a solution involved even more modifiers to remember based on having skill training. As a player new to the system, I can say that the fewer modifiers a roll requires, the easier it is to understand.

This added complexity issue is even further complicated in role playing, where the mental image of a given situation can be very different in the heads of different people, particularly between what a player sees and what a GM sees. This can easily lead to players trying ludicrous actions, thinking they have a reasonable chance of success. With a rolling system involving many more dice, the actual odds (if even stated before the player starts rolling) are much more difficult to calculate mentally. For a forum game, this problem is even more distinct, as asking questions about your situation or environment have to be minimized for expediency of the game (in a live game, you can ask questions about, say, the room the characters are in, and have them answered in a few seconds. In a play by post game, this could take several days). I’ve already had situations in our where I would have liked more clarification of the situation, but have just gone ahead anyway, trusting that I had a somewhat decent idea of what was going on. I see this as necessary evil in a play by post game, if you expect the game to move along faster then a crawl.

Well, that’s all I have to say for now. As I said earlier, I still don’t know either skill mechanic well enough to make informed judgments, but these are my initial impressions. Basically, it seems like an unnecessary complication, when you could have simply said “TN of 8 instead of 9, since you spotted those rock climbing handholds earlier". Hope this helps some (if only to prepare the thread GM’s to counter uninformed player arguments). Feel free to post this on their thread, if you want. Have a good one. -Regin

Last edited by Regin on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:56 am 

@Damian: Was under the impression you just got into town and were going to make your lodgings here. If you already have a place, I was already going to do another inn in the good area anyway.

Ahhh. It's up to you but I could just easily say that this is going to be my place of lodgings. I was working on the theory that I'd made at least a couple of successful trade runs already and I'm struggling to figure out how to do the next one. How about we say that I had been staying with my friend before the falling out and I need a new place?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:43 pm 

Sounds fine to me. But you'll still need to decide whether your weapon is on you or not.

By the way, you seem to have mixed up the combat rules. You're meant to roll from your CP (Combat Pool) dice, not your attributes. Your Combat Pool is made up of your Weapon Proficiency (Pugilism, for example) plus your Reflex, just to remind you. Looking over your character sheet, you don't have any point is Pugilism, so you only have your Reflex for CP (meaning 5 dice to use).

So... you have 5 dice to spend on attacking and defending. Remember you can always play with the combat simulator if you need to brush up your skills.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:20 pm 

He would have it then as he's looking for a room. I guess that I have a large pack of stuff stowed beside my table then as I was looking to stay here for the time being.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:15 am 

I guess your sword is with your pack?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:20 pm 

Hi all,

Just to point out that stances, and their bonuses, only last for 1 pass of combat.

Good luck,

Simon Burling

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:29 pm 

Thanks for the help Simon, luckily I remembered that :).

So, I guess you've been checking out the game? Interested in playing?