It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The City-Fortress Anur (Actual Play)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:22 pm 

Manis looks around the shabby inn, nods with little satisfaction, then passes the body he's carrying off to Arus. Here, take him to the rooms. He'll need to sleep off the drink. I'll be along shortly with a key. Taking a moment to straighten himself up, Manis then proceeds to the barkeep. Manis smiles tiredly, then proceeds.

Good evening sir, I'll be needing two private rooms, with locks, if available. Also, three fresh meals, whatever's hot, and a pail of hot water. With that, Manis pulls out his purse and starts counting out coins, a little sad to see them leave. As he does so, Manis keeps a careful half eye on the other occupants of the bar, happy to have a sword on his hip.

A den of thieves is a sorry place to rest, but at the moment it might be the best they could hope for. Unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:50 am 

The world around Argus seems to pass in a sort of dream, a haze and it seems confusing and moving all too quickly for him. As either Arus or the man he didn't recognize carries him, Argus feels sick and opts to keep himself as relaxed as can be, seemingly lacking any energy to move much at all. He hears a cat meow and then suddenly he's being passed to someone else. At this time he pushes himself to get a grasp on himself, waking himself before long.

Manis leaves him and Arus as he struggles to stand up, (With the help of Arus), He nods his head down staring at the floor for a few moments before looking up lazily, "Why does it smell like bad perfume and stinky beards?"Argus grips his wounds tightly yet fails to realize the building he is in. He feels vomit or something rise and settle in the bottom of his throat, the smell and his body not acting kindly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm 

Regarding Manis with a violent stare, the barman spits into the mug. "You think water comes throo' t'em taps pipin' 'ot?" he sneers, continuing to "clean" the mug. The cloth is dirtier than you expected. "Yoo'll be wantin' the full meals, right?"

((The standard amount for what you want would be 1 silver and 9 coppers, or 21 coppers. If you want cheap meals [bread and ale, maybe some cheese] then it's only 1 silver, 4 coppers, and 2 bits.
You could pay more or make a skill check to convince the barkeeper to be more hospitable. Or do something imaginative like before.))

"Whisky is a fine perfume!" Arus retorts jovially. "Though it smells best when its going down yer throat..." He pushes you over to a wall so you can lean against it. "I've met our mysterious friend, the guy who helped us escape... but I don't mean to trust this guy too quickly..." Arus says, explaining the meeting. "Though I don't trust him, I'll trust his food and his whisky since he ha'z no reason to poison us. Doubt there'll be any nails 'neath my bed, either." After this, Arus would make light conversation, trying to distract Argus from his injuries and the smell.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:04 pm 

Hearing the barman’s reply, Manis sighs. “Alright, I’ll talk you this one. Take a bucket of cold water, put it on your stove, same stove you use to cook even, then wait. It’ll become hot. And yes, the full meals.” With a roll of his eyes, Manis places two silver pieces on the counter, and then waits for the room keys.

With a quick check to make sure no-ones watching too closely, Manis leans forward towards the barkeep and whispers “and I’ve got a shiny gold piece here that’ll be yours come the morrow if you can keep our rooms ‘private’ overnight from these scum or anyone else who comes looking. Kapeesh?”

Leaning back, Manis glances over at his companions, then smiles when he sees the foreigner standing. Seems I've still got the healers touch, he thinks to himself, even if I don't use it much. Those two had better be grateful, anyhow, or tonight may have been mostly wasted effort. Well, besides ruining Gaariss's fun for little while. But I'll get poor quick, or worse, If I keep doing stunts like this for charity. All the same, feels nice to be the good guy for once.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:46 pm 

((Interesting thing happened at work today. Someone threatened to kill me... were going to try something to. Thankfully, stuff seems to have worked out. Hopefully that savage bastard will never come in again--I think they won't.))

A bald, angry, somewhat round face bursts forward close to yours, mid way into your instructions for boiling water. He just sits close and stares at you for a moment, a small tattoo of a bird-like shape under the tap-man's right ear.

After you place down the silver, he becomes significantly less hostile. Picking one up and biting hard, he's remotely satisfied. Reaching underneath the bar for several minutes, he stands back up with a ring of four keys. Seconds of fiddling later, he removes two keys and hands them to you.

To your luck, no one seems particularly interested any more. Glaring stil comes from a few of the occupants, but not in a way where they seem to be keeping track of what you're doing, so much as it is a passive hate for newcomers and foreigners. Your host has a more welcoming expression at the mention of gold, though still hard and cold as corrugated iron. He nods, though his eyebrow raises at the word "kapeesh".

You head up together to your rooms, the barkeeper having given you loose directions. It isn't too hard to find them, however, since there are only four rooms with locks. "I can share with Argus,"
Arus offers quickly. "But 'fore that... I'd like to invite ya' in and ask what exactly you want us for..."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:04 pm 

Spoiler: show
Wow, that’s scary. Methinks someone needs a little round of “institutionalized rehabilitation”. Psycho.

Manis nods, pleased to be invited. "Of course. We should take off that quick patch job I slapped on him as well, now that we have time to treat him properly. I ordered us up some water to clean the wounds with as well. Last thing we need is to see an infection take hold."

Once safely in Arus and Argus’s room (with cat), Manis turns to address Argus, putting on his most winning smile. "Greetings sir, good to see you awake and aware. The name’s Manis. Just sit down on the bed there so Argus and I can have a crack at that gash you took earlier, nasty business that." He pauses momentarily to pull out the bandage kit again, then resumes, speaking to both men. "As for your question regarding my intentions, I assure you I’m not here to get you into even more trouble then you were already in. I was simply at the club to enjoy the fights, much to my own embarrassment, but seeing a pair of capable folk like yourselves, I decided to intervene. It’s always a shame to see people forced into fights they want no part of, but when there are a pair of warriors present more then able to get themselves and the others out, with a little aid, well it just wouldn’t have been right to leave you there." Manis hoped his little speech didn’t sound overdone, but feared it was. "As for any lingering intentions, I only hope that we might do some business together in the near future, assuming you’re available. Given your previous situation, I gather your both in need of coin. I happen to be between jobs myself, but I’m free spirited enough to entertain suggestions, particularly for jobs of reasonably high profitability."

Manis left it at that, hoping the point he was trying to make wasn’t lost in all the words. How to you tell a couple guys you just pulled out of a death pit that you’re really just looking for a friend? That you have trouble sleeping at night? Luckily, he’d already proved himself as useful, but trustworthy was another matter entirely, and one Manis wasn’t particularly good at.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:22 am 

((Yes, he really was a psycho. Sorry, agian, for not replying. I've gotten better mostly, but I've been having separate problems with work and family...))

"Tch, that innkeeper'll take ages, lest you offered him his weight in copper--the fat bastard," Arus spits, pulling Argus into the room with Manis following. A furry streak of lightning bolts in as the door is being shut, a loud cuing noise sounded off as the cat dashes in.

Arus looks unaffected by your speech... You note some suspicion in his voice, "I only work for coin, but I'll work cheaper since ya' got me out of that mess. Cheaper still if it ain't too lethal a job." He stops and thinks a moment, when you say you're taking suggestions. "I think we should make the hole in Gaariss' pocket a lil' bigger..." he begins, grinning vengefully. "He runs a plenty'a' operations, so he has plenty'a' coin flowing in and about. Bet 'e's got something big coming up 'fore long, we just need to find out what, when an' where it'll be...
"So, that sound like the kinda' job you were talkin' about?"
He leans against the wall, his arms behind his neck, looking at Manis and Argus carefull as he awaits an answer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:41 am 

((I suppose the game is dead? If so, sorry I failed oyu as the GM. I've had a lot of problems recently, and haven't been able to post as much as I should've. If you wish to continue I can make an effort, buI don't hold it against you if you say "maybe another time". Sorry.))

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:36 am 

Well, I haven't given up yet. I've still been checking back regularly, but I've been waiting on Argus's reply here, as it's kind of key to figuring out what we'll be doing next as a group. I think the main thing holding us back is the lack of players (although the long breaks haven't helped). I've tried to convince a couple of my local friends, but they haven't committed to anything (although they did seem interested). At the very least, we can always keep it on the back burner until we can find some new people. Also, Jegol did say he was going away on a trip for awhile, so he might be start posting regularly again soon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:06 am 

((Ah, OK. Sorry, I've lately not been keeping proper track of things. We can wait till Argus posts. Might give me time to get well... I hope I don't have swine flu :shock:, since most people around me do it's quite a possibility.

Jegol, when you're back, please post something :P .))

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:35 am 

Something!

:D

I am very much still interested. I have been on vacation for the past few weeks, without internet access and just got back tonight (It's night for me anyway..). Since it is much too late for me to formulate anything I'll post soon. I guess you weren't comfortable taking over Argus for a little while, at least to keep things going a little but it's always fine as I don't claim him as mine alone really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:59 am 

((Good to see your back :D! I was actually planning on taking over Argus if you didn't get back very soon. Got back just in time :mrgreen:.
Ouch, recently my wisdom tooth has been hurting... ouch :shock:. Doesn't seem like it should need to be pulled, hopefully.))

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 am 

Argus' faces droops slightly "I don't want any of that disgusting liquid, in fact the smells are only making me more sick" he says refusing any substance.

"I don't like Gaariss, but do we-" He coughs profusely before saying, "Have any real way to go after him? He's damn powerful by the sound of it and I ain't looking forward to more of this damn stuff" he finishes, noting the wound he has. "Though your offer is tempting stranger, I don't see anymore reason to participate except the possibility that you saved my life." Argus stops, then says a little quieter, "I have enough damn trouble... I guess my life is already forfeit... Couldn't hurt to try and make it out strong. This might be my only way to finish all my problems."

Argus is willing to do this, I'm changing some of his SA's to reflect. I think it'd be cool Conners if a new player wanted to play Arus, he seems to be a pretty important character and a simple one to play for any beginner if they want him statted out already. This is a fun game, It's too bad new players are hard to come by but it could only get better too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 am 

Agh... so sorry for taking so long to post. I was going to post the same day as Jegol, but then work was later in the afternoon and I was too tired by night time. For the next few days I've been given longer work days, BUSY ones. If I had a gun, I would've shot myself by now, to be blunt... Well, here's the post, sorry, again.

Arus stops his grumbling, about whisky being one of the finest beverages to grace the world, and regards Argus with a thoughtful glare. "Recently, he doesn't like to go personally to most of these jobs. Once yer at the top, why risk it'all on a botched deal? 'Sides, he has enough work that he can't pay attention ta' all of it."
He notes the vicious bruises as you do, shaking his head very slightly. "We can wait till yer feelin' sword-wor'v'y. Not sayin' we rush into anything hap'azard... This guy, here," he says, pointing at Manis briefly, "he must be pretty quick with a plan to've gotten us outta that fix. So, if we play it right, we'll be richer an Gaariss'll be poorer--an' we'll be further from the city than he's likely ta' tread. Sound as good ta' you as it does ta' me?"

A scratching sound emanates from one of the windows, an un-shuttered hole covered with greased paper--to let the daylight in when there is any. Creeping over slowly, Arus slips back an edge of the paper, looking out. Your cat bursts out from under the bed, nearly throwing the warrior over as he catapults through his legs. It seems he was making good use of the wooden bed-legs for his claws.

Where can I find the changes?
It would be neat to pass over Arus to someone, though they might be more interested in an original character. Unfortunately, I've had 0 replies to my new recruiting thread. People aren't particularly interested in learning a new system they know little about, but the add I posted mightn't hve been up to standards since I was sick at the time. In case you haven't seen, here it is: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=712

I might try again on another site, maybe...? Or should I bump that thread?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 am 

Argus stiffens up, saying cooly,"Quick with the plan? I would have hoped it was better thought out. We don't need quick plans, we need solid ones if we hope to do much more. This could have been you, it could have been worse and don't forget that." He then shakes his head apologetically, "But it worked, I thank.. he cuts short his sentence. Changing his tone and raising his voice, he adds, "I thank Manis for helping out, it worked."Argus ignores the cat mostly, uninterested in it and more in his wounds.

I have a friend who will join, she has played a game irl with me once before but like most my IRL games, the rules were kept simple and ignored for the sake of playing the game smoothly. She does have a basic grasp of how it's played and I will happily teach her as we go in order to ease your Seneschael-y burden Conners :P

I would try a different site as there is no interest there. Have you tried Myth-weavers? http://www.myth-weavers.com/

Though on second thought... I don't think they allow out-of-forum advertising. If you know much about them, they have a very well designed system for PbP games, including web-character sheets. Wonder if this could be a possibility on these forums in order to share characters as desired in a good format.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next