It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: The City-Fortress Anur (Actual Play)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:15 am 

The Eyes of a BirdWe shall start this tale with a bird, a lovely efknah (or blue jay if you're unfamiliar with Elven). It is soaring gracefully away from its roost, and gliding over the city-fortress Anur for a bit of exploring. Unwillingly, it turns circles as it flies over the temple district, several of the holy statues protected by wards against birds' "habits". Disliking the controlling enchantments, the efknah sweeps over to the markets: A long and wide road leads up to the citadel's gates, market stalls cluttering the sides of the path as mobile shops move through the street to entice potential customers. Humans always were interesting to watch for a while, but the noise would always become too much for the little blue jay, so it soared away to a quieter part of the city. The slums.

Being a fortress, the builders of Anur made certain to save as much room with non-military living spaces as possible, leading to a complex of alleyways connecting the various houses. While perfectly good citizens live in these, a few sections have earned the name "The Slums", based on their less-than-worthy inhabitants. The bird could see a half-orc playing with a couple of humans and a dwarf, something to do with a funny ten-sided object they'd roll constantly... Ignoring this, the bird pecked at some tasty rubbish for a while, then decided to explore further, flapping over to the University.

Most universities are for scholars, houses of philosophy and study. Others contain wizards and sorcerers, delving into arts terrifying and mysterious. And some feature alchemists, formulating and testing various combinations and solutions, a few trying for the impossible task of the Philosopher's Stone. This one, however, had all three... and they got along quite terribly, as you could imagine. The bird landed on a small hanging gargoyle, to prune itself while resting. Briefly, the perch glances up, before going back into perpetual stillness--only a very keen eye could notice the slightly different position it took.
After a few minutes of pruning, a startling noise began from the inside of the university. When a glowing orb of light burst against one of the walls, our feathered friend saw it was time for departure... quickly. A flask of strange acidic liquid glided out the window, striking the gargoyle's back, but having little effect on the stone hide it possessed--though still, its expression looked the merest bit more worried than before...

All that was left to see was the towering citadel at the back of the city, steel built in with stone to an impenetrable effect. This place was, however, not somewhere our bird wished to fly--a smile from the residing Baron Reldir having dispersed any thoughts of returning to that place. Gliding slightly faster than before, the bird flies away form the citadel, soaring back to the beautiful green plains of the City-State, the farms and small villages dotted about the land. Careful not to go near the jungle-like forest, our efknah flies back to its nest, feeding the tasty rubbish from before to her screeching young.

Now, the bird's part of the tale has ended. What happens next? I don't know... perhaps you can tell me? Your chance has come to live an adventure and tell me your story, as I will tell it to others. As the bird flew overhead, across the walled city, when was it above you? Where were you this clear day, as it grew closer to dusk? Please, sit down before you begin, and relate your story as well as you can remember it.

Spoiler: show
Please post what your character is doing and where. But please, don't go for the, "we all meet in a tavern" approach. I'll apply plot-hooks and the like where appropriate, until things get going--then you should be able to continue the adventure on your own (though plot-hooks and etc. will still appear).

PS: Hope my beginning post is good, it's a little hard to tell since I couldn't get anyone to read it. Have fun playing :mrgreen:!

Post subject: Re: The City-Fortress Anur (Actual Play)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:10 pm 

Argus stopped for a moment, looking up; for a moment he saw two extended wings glide overhead and disappear behind the overshadowing buildings. He threw his brown hood back over his head and seemed to meld in with the other citizens that walked past him.

Continuing on, he stopped when he reached the market place. The grounds here were filled with activity compared to the slums, and every hawker tried to tempt him with usually, something useless.

Argus finally sat down on a very low stone wall, checking his travel pack for any lost items. He surveyed the scene, nobody seemed to take notice to him. exactly what he wanted. He seemed to be followed, and had been confronted once by a shabby looking man a few days before. The man was discouraged from taking anymore steps towards Argus, he with his dagger and Argus with a strong looking sword.

But for now... Argus just simply sat down and watched the city, tonight he'd find lodging and sleep, maybe stay for a few days and move on. He was unsure what to do with his life at this point - except enjoy it as he could. Now the question was... how would he enjoy it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:48 am 

"That's a nice sword," a voice comments from behind Argus. "Bought it in Alquire, I assume? Few other places make human-crafted weapons out of Dwarven steel." In the time it would take Argus to turn to see who is speaking to him, the figure has already moved well out of reach--he certainly was quick. "Allow me to introduce myself," he pleads, doing his best to keep the warrior's attention, "my name is Dandeek, the weapons merchant. You seem a man who understands a good sword when he balances it in his hands... would you care to see a blade finer than any you have before?"

There is something different about this merchant from the others who bothered Argus, more than his accent and skilled eye in discerning a weapon. Dandeek is short, partially due to a minor hunch, his messy brown hair spiking in all directions as unkept whiskers jot out of his face. Ageing patches of grey and singe marks add to the ridiculousness of his hair. Small, yellowish teeth shine through his whiskers, the first non-false smile you've seen from a merchant in this city.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:04 am 

Corsican was leaning against a wall in one of the less reputable areas of the slums. He was very bored. He stood, and began looking for somewhere to eat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:54 am 

Coriscan is able to recall an Inn he passed while exploring--not the most reputable place from the looks, but probably a bit nicer than the area he was relaxing in currently. "The Elven Pig" was the name, its sign a pig with pointed, elf-like ears. Reaching it would only take a few minutes' walk.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:13 pm 

Corsican heads towards the Elven Ears and enters it, then looks for a quiet place to sit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:45 pm 

As Corsican enters the tavern, a well-off looking and very drunken dwarf bumps into him. A short fellow as all dwarves, though fatter than most, his soft clothing decorated with painted, iron ornaments. Smiling through a thick beard of orange hair, he swings his mug at you in a friendly, but highly intoxicated, salute. Finished doing what he came for, the dwarf staggers and sways out of the tavern, repeatedly clinking his metal ornaments against the narrow walls of the allies.

Meanwhile, several tavern patrons had stopped to glance at you--but most lost interest after a few seconds. Some others, however, continue to stare blatantly at you, a foreigner carrying a weapon unusual to the common folk.

There is one empty table remaining, its past sitter being the dwarf at the door. You may sit at the table freely, a plain -- though large-busted -- barmaid waiting to to attend to your needs, her expression curious. "Wha' can 'ah get'cha?" she asks in an irritating accent, not bothering with pleasantries.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:59 am 

Argus looks at the man, feeling a little unsettled about his appearance but intrigued by his comment on his sword. He says smiling, "I would never pass such an opportunity, even if the sword was meant to kill me". His smile then fades away slightly and he says, "If you are leading me around, then we will have a big problem". Argus stands up, subconsciously sliding his finger across the hilt of his sword.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:13 am 

The Rattish Merchant smiles in reply to Argus, motioning to follow into his shop. He leads you into an actual building, unlike the shop stalls, the door made of thick wood with many locks and bolts attached to it. Inside, it's relatively dark, the few, small windows bared with thick iron. Three very large dogs become alert as you follow the merchant inside, but he quiets them with a few whispers and pat on each one's nose. It'd doubtful anyone would wish to tangle with those dogs, rough and mangy, their fur telling of multiple scraps and little to do with grooming or pampering. They share a large bone amongst themselves, looking ominous as they chew it.

Rather than decorations, the room's walls are covered with weapons and shields of all varieties, some you have only seen in books or illustrations. Removing a key from his coat, the merchants slides aside a very colourful shield and twists the key in the wall behind it. Then, he pockets the key, returns the shield to where it was, then moves into another room. While he's gone, the dogs growl at you quietly, warning against following. As the minutes pass, you notice a force in the corner of the room, filthy with smoke and soot. Hammer and forge alike both show signs of constant use, and it becomes clear as to where this merchant received his scorches.

Finally, Dandeek rushes back into the room, a sheathed cut&thrust sword in his hands--the dogs stop growling and return to their bone. "Here it is!" he says proudly, handing it to you. Manoeuvring past you easily, he closes the door, locking a couple of the bolts for extra measure. The room's stuffy smell becomes more powerful than you had hoped it would, the main airflow gone. "Can't be too careful," he mumbles. "Now, try out the sword!" He watches intently, waiting for you to balance the sword in your hands and swing it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:41 am 

Argus uneasily awaits, looking at the dogs warily. "I hate dogs..." he mumbles to himself almost inaudibly.

With the sword now in his hands, Argus feels more at ease with the results of following this odd man. He looks it over, gliding his hand across it gently. He than backs away from the man, swinging it lightly around to get a feel for it and then quickens the pace. "What do you intend to do with this sword Dandeek?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:07 am 

The sword is light in Argus' hand, but strong with each swing. You feel a strange power as you test it, something beyond that of your own sword. It certainly was the truth when you were promised a blade finer than any you have seen, any duellist would quickly fall in love with a weapon such as this. Another thing that occurs to you, is that your hand is lightly cut, blood flowing softly down your wrist. Was it really so sharp that you didn't feel it cutting your hand as you felt across its edge?

"Sell it, as any merchant would," Dandeek replies to your question, simply. "I was hoping you would be willing to purchase such, Young... what is your name?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:25 am 

"Argus, sir, and of course... a blade like this would be something any swordsman would admire, on any side of it's edge." says Argus, dismissing the cut on his hand. "I'm afraid I only carry a few coins on me at this time... certainly not enough for this. However, I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I handled it a bit more to be certain of it's qualities?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:59 pm 

Dandeek's face drops visibly as Argus admits to a light purse. "Of course, of course," he agrees to your request of testing the blade further. Leaning against a smoked wall, he ponders on what to do--though he's still watching you carefully. After a few minutes of watching you swing and move with the fine blade, the Merchant's eyes light up with an idea. "Argus," he begins, looking you up and down, "you look young and strong, and your skill with that blade is more than I often see--why don't you join the arena fights and see how much coin you can earn?" His yellow smiles flashes through the scorched whiskers as he scans your reaction.

"You needn't worry about your safety," he puts in before you can answer. "I've sent fighting men there before, when they couldn't pay me for their weapon repairs, and they came back just fine... except for that one idiot who bet all his money on a fight and got himself knocked flat--but you look bright enough to know when to bet and when to stay your coin.
"So, how about it? One man came back with a HUNDRED gold pieces from this event, betting and fighting like a pro--and I've seen few skilled warriors around this year, so you'll probably be fighting two-bit thugs and cocky teenagers, so your chances are better than they'll ever be!"
His eyes are shining with excitement as he tells you this, finally pausing to give you time to answer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:37 pm 

Argus frowns at Dandeek, "I'm interested in the competition Dandeek, and how you put it, it sounds like the odds would be in my favor. But if I lose?" Argus hands the sword back to Dandeek, taking a moment longer to hold it as he trades it off. He puts his hand in his money pouch, feeling a few silver pieces, mostly copper. "Show me how I can enter, and I will have that sword" he says smiling.

"Just one question, there aren't any dogs is there?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 pm 

"Dogs?" Dandeek asks, a little surprised by the question, "err... I don't guess so. No one ever mentioned dogs or animals, so I'm guessing it's only people--and maybe some half-orcs." Chuckling slightly, he moves across the dark room, finds some parchment, and begins to scrawl something down, the sword held tightly under his arm in its sheath. "Here's the directions," he gives the paper to you, confusing but manageable directions written down, "look for Gaariss, he runs the fights and a good deal more. You'll know him when you see him, believe you me!" Zipping past you, the door is unbolted in seconds. The merchant waves you goodbye, and lets you on your way.

Dusk has already broken, and the crowded streets of before have quietened down immensely, several traders closing their stalls as you walk past. At the same time, less guards line the streets, about half the large number of the day. Continuing on, the instructions tell you to head towards the Slums district--street-scum apparently become much less present around the time of these fights, supposedly to go and watch them or participate. You also notice the other side of the old sheet is a letter, but it's in gnomish and you can't read it.

Close to your destination, you need only pass the Elven Pig, turn right, and then go straight on before making a left at a red-brick house--Gaariss is often waiting at the gate, apparently.

Last edited by Conners on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next