It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Peanut Gallery
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:12 am 

Hi all,

Grettir, what an absolutly brilliant scene you have concocted on top of Pacs and Itzcotals scene at Pac's.

Grettir, how are you going to save yourself from dieing or just being forcibily decended? Is there a difference? :lol:

Simon Burling

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:15 am 

Yep, Grettir's turned up the heat. Again. I think the dial's on 11...

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:28 pm 

simon burling wrote:
Grettir, what an absolutly brilliant scene you have concocted on top of Pacs and Itzcotals scene at Pac's.

Thanks, glad you like it. It’s the upcoming multi-character Bang I’ve alluded to before. The capture of P’Tarn merely set this scene up.

Ian.Plumb wrote:

Yes, it’s pretty hot. And you murdering the second divine being are not exactly doing anything to de-escalate, either. :lol: Not that I would want you to, of course.

One of the beauties of playing in disposable settings is that you don’t have to treat them with consideration. There’s nothing to stop you from blowing them up, or from turning up the heat until the very setting melts to slag. And while I have not aimed for this, I have certainly not held back – why should I have?

So stay tuned as things are going to get even more ugly very soon! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:23 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:

Grettir wrote:
Yes, it’s pretty hot. And you murdering the second divine being are not exactly doing anything to de-escalate, either. :lol: Not that I would want you to, of course.

This was purely self-defense. :lol:

Grettir wrote:
One of the beauties of playing in disposable settings is that you don’t have to treat them with consideration...

For me the joy of this style of play is the shared responsibility for the burden of creativity. In old-style RPGing, you react to what the referee presents to you. The referee is solely-responsible for the creativity. The players are all in Actor Stance; every scene revolves around the central question, "What would my character do now?" In this style of RPGing the creative burden is shared equally. The players can break free from Actor Stance and get into Author Stance and Director Stance. And it is at that point that everyone at the table can be assured that the game will not go according to anyone's particular plan.

This game has been fun. At the start I had no idea we would end up here. The joy of it though is that I know that nobody else did either. Not even Grettir. Especially not Grettir.

Grettir wrote:

I am looking forward to seeing what people do with their newfound freedom. :twisted:

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:51 am 

What I have discovered from this game is, give Grettir a Character, and give the other Players a little more leeway with Director Stance and what you have is what my group used to call CO-DM. Everyone is the DM and everyone is a Player. You may remember me talking bout it in the pat (either this forum or the old ones).

It works pretty good, really isnt all the much different from what we're doing here.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:24 am 

Grettir wrote:
One of the beauties of playing in disposable settings is that you don’t have to treat them with consideration. There’s nothing to stop you from blowing them up, or from turning up the heat until the very setting melts to slag. And while I have not aimed for this, I have certainly not held back – why should I have?

Let's see two divine beings down, the priesthood at loggerheads, the god's magic device in the hands of a barbarian warrior desperate to save his family from sacrifice. And the murder of the divine being in public complete with dying call to revolt. And an implicit destruction of the faith of the people.

Not just disposable but disposed of soon I would think.

:twisted:

So now it is interesting what the preisthood will do to keep the status quo...

PS Ian Right on the money. Death scene which furthers your characters goals spectacularly. Cheers!

Now who will play this character in the movie version :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:47 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
For me the joy of this style of play is the shared responsibility for the burden of creativity.

That’s of course the main benefit. The burden of creativity (and it is a burden – how often have you encountered the mindset that the referee is responsible for coming up with an entertaining adventure?) is shared, and so is the responisbility for the story. Every participant has equal possibility (and responsibility) to make sure that the story will be about something he is interested in, there is no railroading whatsoever, and nobody “owns” the story:
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Not even Grettir. Especially not Grettir.

Valthalion wrote:
Not just disposable but disposed of soon I would think. :twisted:

If I had to analyze, I would say that the main, though not sole, reason for the quick disintegration of the setting was the scope of Ian’s Kicker. That put a wonderful strain on the established order of the entire world. A mortal slays a god – I mean, how could the world possibly remain unchanged? :twisted:

Crow Caller wrote:
What I have discovered from this game is, give Grettir a Character, and give the other Players a little more leeway with Director Stance and what you have is what my group used to call CO-DM. Everyone is the DM and everyone is a Player.

Apart form strictly formalized but wonderful “City of Brass” I’ve never tried it, but there are quite a few indie games specifically designed for that. Usually with a mechanic to determine who is referee at any given time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:44 pm 

I'm still loving The Wizard of Oz reference. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:53 pm 

higgins wrote:
Totally lost on me... :?

Anyhow, continuing to comment…

The capture of P’Tarn was an event, not a Bang – it was missing a Bang’s pressing necessity to react to it. I might have omitted this scene and cut immediately to the real Bang, the appearance off the Servitors at Pac Utal’s without even mentioning the capture, but I chose to give higgins and Crow Caller an opportunity to act on the capture.

Higgins had Itzcoatl act, in one of the three ways that seemed likely to me – confronting Layanna, confronting Itzcoatl, or trying to find out more what the Servitors wanted with P’Tarn. The latter course of action would have been the most advantageous for Itcoatl, as he might have found out about the Servitor’s brain-searching power and also that they were about to search Pac Utal’s brain, affording him an opportunity to pre-empt them, but higgins did obligingly choose to to have Itzcoatl go to Pac Utal, thereby isolating himself from his loyal retainers and implicating himself…

Thus the appearance of the Servitors at Pac Utal’s, intended by me as Bang for Pac Utal and Punchau, became a Bang for also Itzcoatl, something I had deemed possible right from the inception of this story arc. Hector is unfortunately still absent, but Ian plunged fully into it and tried not to fight Pac Utal’s doom but did instead embrace it wonderfully. Confronting Pac Utal so brutally with the Servitors may have ben a bit harsh, but then Ian has with his Kicker practically been asking for something like it.

The poisoning of the Servitor, a nice twist authored by Ian, is in itself not a Bang, as it does again lack the pressing necessity to act upon it – but I seized upon that event to concoct yet another Bang for Itzcoatl, the unmasking of the Servitor. Itzcoatl knows that very soon, his eyes will be ordered put out – he can hardly fail to act on this.

Ghost Jaguar has not seen a Bang – the rogue Servitor Crow Caller has introduced is merely a strong plot device, but no Bang, as it, to, lacks the pressing necessity to act upon it. But I want to use the introduction of the Servitor to demonstrate what I perceive to be one of the strengths of this kind of playing.

I conventional play, I would have determined what powers the Shoatli had as soon as it entered play – here, I have only done so the moment it became necessary to know wat it can do. Not having known this before did nothing to detract from the enjoyment, but establishing it only later on was a decisive advantage.

You see, Itzcoatl started out with the Shoatli, but higgins had said that he wanted the thing to be some kind of McGuffin, so it was to be expected that it would soon pass into somebody else’s hands – but there was no telling in whose, and less who would be the first to use the thing. Not having determined beforehand what its powers were, I could tailor them to the story-needs (not the actual needs) of Ghost Jaguar.

Ghost Jaguar is a slave who wants to free his imprisoned and enslaved family and ultimately all subjugated Descended. With the Shoatli, he has been given a powerful tool to do so – but something that is itself a tool of slavery! Will Ghost Jaguar be able to use it to free people, or will he become a slaver himself? Now that’s interesting, and we wouldn’t have the possibilty to explore this angle if I had pre-determined some other power for the Shoatli, one suiting Ghost Jaguar’s tale less.

And, by the way, a second reason for giving the Shoatli the powers I gave it was to have higgins drool over it for Itzcoatl, and to provide Crow Caller with a reason for Ghost Jaguar to fear that Itzcoatl might ever gain control of the Shoatli. With it, Itzcoatl could erect a terrible reign of terror, and Ghost Jaguar has to aware of that fact…

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:52 pm 

Grettir wrote:
higgins wrote:
Totally lost on me... :?
Oh, c'mon, the story takes place in a completely green city called Ozomatli. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:41 pm 

higgins wrote:
Oh, c'mon, the story takes place in a completely green city called Ozomatli. :lol:

Ok, that settles it, I’m a total genius, making literary references left and right without ever being aware of it. :roll:

But honest, it’s been unintentional. I had originally avoided establishing what colour our godstone had; in my mind, it had the optical quality of jade, but not necessarily its greenish shades. In my imagination, without ever saying it, I thought that reds, milky shades and yellow would also be possibly and that Ozomatli was actually a pale red – but I left it deliberately open.

I realized later that others thought Ozomatli to be green, so I changed my mental image of it, and when Ian established Pac Utal’s ability to tinge godstone I decided to also drop the possibility that godstone is any colour but green.

And “Ozomatli” is actually a real Aztec word, meaning “monkey”. Quite fitting, actually, considering all your characters’ monkey business… :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:47 pm 

higgins wrote:

That's brilliant higgins! How many Insight is that worth Grettir???

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:58 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
That's brilliant higgins!
Thanks! But I sincerely thought the name choice was intentional and connected with the greenness of the city. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:10 am 

WOW

Layanna's turning into a bit of a character isn't she. I know the answer to this but anyway.

Who could have forseen it?

Valthalion

Trying this method himself tonight.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:02 am 

Valthalion wrote:
Valthalion

Trying this method himself tonight.

I wish you the best of luck with it. And I hope you have your players very well-primed, or else this might blow up into your face spectacularly. In any case, expectd a bumpy ride for the first time. For the first few times, actually.

Maybe you'd like to report back on your experiences in an Actual Play thread?

Considering recent events I don’t need to tell you anymore that Layanna’s coup was a Bang for both Ghost Jaguar and Itzcoatl.

Itzcoatl has had his hand already forced by the events at Pac Utal’s, but now he is totally committed and really has to go all the way.

For Ghost Jaguar this Bang wasn’t quite as momentous, though almost. He realizes that he can’t get his family out of the middle of the full-scale war that seems to descend upon Ozomatli very soon, and he holds the key that might well break the possible stalemate between Itzcoatl and Layanna.

From a writer’s viewpoint on Ghost Jaguar I have chosen this particular Bang as a device to firmly relink the character of Ghost Jaguar with Itzcoatl, either as an enemy or as a very uncertain ally of convenience; even in the latter case I expect the final confrontation to be only postponed. If you followed the story you will have noticed how the heat under Ghost Jaguar has been constantly rising and how he was drawn ever more into conflict with Itzcoatl. Then, suddenly, the crucible of these two characters was broken – Crow Caller had introduced a plot device that did immediately turn down the heat under Ghost Jaguar and plunge him into a lull of action. Now, Ghost Jaguar’s story is poised to regain its frenzied energy, and I am anxious to see what course it will run.

As for Layanna – Itzcoatl’s sacrilege, combined with the murder of influential Ixcal, has played very much into her hands and enabled her to seize some kind of emergency power over the the temple. I don’t need to spell it out that she has no intention to relinquish this power ever again. When the gaze of the Mountain falls once again upon Ozomatli, she hopes to be in sole power and to be able to present the Gods with a bloody reckoning she has visited on those who have tansgressed.

The question that remains is just how she could have learned so very soon of the murder of Ixcal and the Servitors? Here, a bit of Exploration enters the game; there is yet one more player in Ozomatli whose hand has not yet been revealed… :twisted: