It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:50 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 2035
Location: Estonia
Grettir wrote:
And considering that higgins’ character wants the Gods to stop meddling in the affairs of his city, does higgins want his own character to be the murderer? If not, it might well be possible that somebody is trying to set him up, knowing that this particular priest is hostile towards the Gods…
As my character will have Surgery skill from one of his packets, I can totally see him ordering poisons for very specific functions on the organs, possibly to tamper with servitors or even gods. But if it's going to be my character killing a god, I don't want to happen in in the background. This is most likely a frame-up.

_________________
"Brothels are a much sounder investment than ships, I've found. Whores seldom sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin like everyone else."
- Lord Petyr Baelish, A Game of Thrones


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:06 am
Posts: 1495
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe
higgins wrote:
I can totally see him ordering poisons for very specific functions on the organs, possibly to tamper with servitors or even gods. But if it's going to be my character killing a god, I don't want to happen in in the background. This is most likely a frame-up.

Are you interested in pursuing this angle for your character? His enemies do almost certainly know that he is less than happy with the Gods’ return and critical of their demands, and he is also known to have a penchant for poisonous enemies and to even use a Descended slave to procure them from the jungle. If a God falls down poisoned, your character might well be a prime suspect.

Would you like to make this plotline the central one for your character? If not, I am going to play the suspicion against him as colour, something that’s there in the background but will never take center stage. It’s your call, higgins.

_________________
My real name is Michael; use it, if you like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ian.Plumb wrote:
I think we need a thread controlled by Grettir where all of the current "game facts" are listed. I think we need another one with one post per player which defines the current state of the character. They can be edited as time goes by and things change, but there's always one place to find all the current information.


Grettir wrote:
That’s exactly what I intended to do. I have opened the character thread here, and anybody has exactly one post in it, no more; no replies or discussions whatsoever in this thread, please, it’s merely intended as a repository for characters.


Thanks!

Grettir wrote:
The setting thread will be opened as soon as everybody has handed in a Kicker – it may be that a Kicker will still require some minor adjustment to what we’ve so far determined.


Thanks -- I was really finding it difficult to work out what was current about the setting.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Kicker: Pac's work is about to come to the attention of the gods -- as one of their number lies stiffening on the ground, all determine to find the perpetrator.


Grettir wrote:
Great! Pac Utal’s first scene will be that he learns that a poison he provided has been used to murder a God, right?

What I want to know is wether Pac Utal was aware that this poison was intended for a God (I think not) and wether he knows whom he sold the poison in question or if this commerce was done incognito or via go-betweens.


Pac has a very academic approach to poisons. Over the years (he is in his mid-40s) he has written down a great body of knowledge regarding the substances that are available, their properties, their preparation, their administration.

Back when I was thinking that the Jungle was designed rather than evolved I had the idea that there were several substances in it -- flowers, insects, whatever -- that didn't appear to be poisonous but did appear to have active toxins within them. Pac reasoned that if the toxins weren't inimical to humans, then who else might be susceptible to them? Pac set this knowledge aside -- not having a god to test them on these substances would remain theoretical poisons...

When the gods became more active Pac reasoned that someone within the temple, one of his clientele, might one day seek to use his product against the gods. Pac reasoned that if that happened it would be better to have that poisoning be successful than to simply have a god loaded with a human toxin that potentially did nothing to a god. So when the gods became active again he started incorporating his theoretical poisons into every human toxin ordered from a client in the Temple district.

Pac is acutely aware of the go-between that have been used between himself and the genuine client. He has been able to determine the identities of two of those clients. He assumes that if he has been able to work out who the client is then one or more of the clients have been able to work out who the vendor is.

This concerns him greatly and is an issue that he has pondered for quite some time. His solution has been to poison the go-betweens -- and provide them with an antidote -- without them knowing. He uses a contact poison on the packaging that remains active for only a short time when exposed to air. The go-betweens handle the package and the poison enters the skin and into the bloodstream. By the time the package reaches the client the contact poison has become inert. Pac also supplies the go-between with a bag of candy. The candy is laced with a mild euphoric -- and a temporary antidote to the contact poison. He warns the go-between to only eat one of the candy each day -- more than that would be bad for their "teeth". He keeps them regularly supplied with the candy.

When the murder of the god comes to light Pac will stop adding the antedote to the candy. He'll add more of the euphoric and then send a new "better" batch of candy to each of the go-betweens. Pac is relying on the elimination of the middle-men as a way of eliminating the trail between the client and himself. Everything hinges though on how long it takes the gods to find the actual client...

Grettir wrote:
And considering that higgins’ character wants the Gods to stop meddling in the affairs of his city, does higgins want his own character to be the murderer? If not, it might well be possible that somebody is trying to set him up, knowing that this particular priest is hostile towards the Gods…


Whether or not he is the murderer, is higgins character a client?

Regards,

_________________
Ian Plumb
Illustrations for Gamers
Lyonpaedia
Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
The Gift is Godstone Shaping if everyone agrees that such a thing is possible for humans.


Crow Caller wrote:
I'm cool with this, but I want a really cool reason why/how he got this power, even if it is something Grettir unfolds for us in play. I don't just want it to be, he's got it... you know what I mean?


I don't think it is important. I'm not going to be spending any time in-game sculpting godstone. I don't expect Grettir to be building scenes around Pac's amazing sculpting talent. It is just a way of gaining access to the Temple District, at the cost of a Major Gift.

In my own view of the game world, the whole environment was an exercise by the gods in engineering human life. In the beginning there were no Descended, the gods having created the city and populated it with the people they found. The Jungle was built to keep everyone in. The Flood periodically cleaned the system. Over the millenia eugenics were used to improve the human species. Those that Descended were tainting the gene pool and so were removed. As the generations passed the Ascended grew taller, bigger, smarter, healthier. In time, as the gods understanding of us grew they began to use genetic intervention. The pace of change accelerated.

The pinnacle of the genetic manipulation experiments were those with the Gift of manipulating the godstone. This is a recent phenomenon, with the first sculptor discovering his talent only two generations ago. This Gift is a god trait. Pac's brother P'Tarn was going to become The One and then discover that his sacrifice was refused by the gods -- who valued the manifestation of his Gift far more highly than his sacrifice. This in turn was going to lead to an arc of intrigue regarding the function of the Gift and its usefulness to the gods. The Servitors were going to discover that the Gods ranked those with the Gift above them...

Of course that's all irrelevant now, so the Gift is just a way of gaining access to the Temple District.

Regards,

_________________
Ian Plumb
Illustrations for Gamers
Lyonpaedia
Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Grettir wrote:
... Under no circumstances is this going to be about you, the players, and your characters finding out things about the setting.

...

There will be nothing important in the story that you haven’t put there yourselves. I really need you to be acutely aware of that.


Excellent! The gaming environment is just the stage upon which our drama is set. It's value begins and ends right there. As an actor upon this stage I promise not to wander around looking at the props, the sets, and the costumes! :lol:

Regards,

_________________
Ian Plumb
Illustrations for Gamers
Lyonpaedia
Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Australia
higgins wrote:
As my character will have Surgery skill from one of his packets, I can totally see him ordering poisons for very specific functions on the organs, possibly to tamper with servitors or even gods.


Then higgin's character is a regular purchaser of the pain-relievers, topical anaesthetics, and general anaesthetics that Pac is able to supply. Whether he purchases poisons or whether he has deliberately used incorrect dosages at times is his call.

Regards,

_________________
Ian Plumb
Illustrations for Gamers
Lyonpaedia
Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 2035
Location: Estonia
Yes, he's definitely a client. Maybe not THE client, but a client indeed. I was referring to a fact that my character will know enough of anatomy to order poisons with peculiar effects (say, not by type and delay, but based on effect. one that kills by attacking liver, etc) possibly to disable a servant or even god. But he ain't a doctor.

_________________
"Brothels are a much sounder investment than ships, I've found. Whores seldom sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin like everyone else."
- Lord Petyr Baelish, A Game of Thrones


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Australia
higgins wrote:
Yes, he's definitely a client.


OK.

higgins wrote:
Maybe not THE client...


You'll need to decide one way or the other.

higgins wrote:
I was referring to a fact that my character will know enough of anatomy to order poisons with peculiar effects (say, not by type and delay, but based on effect. one that kills by attacking liver, etc) possibly to disable a servant or even god. But he ain't a doctor.


Just as an aside, how do you se the character acquiring a Surgery skill without being a doctor?

Pac offers a full service. He can indeed accommodate even the most esoteric requirements. However, nobody knows that he believes that he has worked out how to poison a god. He simply laces all products ordered with what he believes to be a toxin inimical to the gods.

Regards,

_________________
Ian Plumb
Illustrations for Gamers
Lyonpaedia
Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Just as an aside, how do you se the character acquiring a Surgery skill without being a doctor?


Autopsy through Sacrifice? Cruel "experiments"?

Just some ideas.

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:06 am
Posts: 1495
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe
Ian.Plumb wrote:
The gaming environment is just the stage upon which our drama is set. It's value begins and ends right there. As an actor upon this stage I promise not to wander around looking at the props, the sets, and the costumes! :lol:

Excellent metaphor! :) The setting is the sets, the props, and the costumes, and these things are only there to give context to the play; the play can never be about these things.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
I don't think it is important. I'm not going to be spending any time in-game sculpting godstone. I don't expect Grettir to be building scenes around Pac's amazing sculpting talent. It is just a way of gaining access to the Temple District, at the cost of a Major Gift.

It might become important for the story, this is something I cannot yet say, but it will certainly give Pac few benefits that could be quantified into game-terms. The Gift is something that makes Pac important to the temple, first and foremost economically. If your city is able to shape the godstone, and others aren’t, your city has a powerful leverage in trade, and city, temple and priests could well get filthy rich.

Which is why I’d like to know if you’d like this Gift to be something inherent or something that can be taught, and wether Pac’s apprentices and journeymen can work the godstone without Pac’s supervision or cooperation.

higgins wrote:
Maybe not THE client...
Ian.Plumb wrote:
You'll need to decide one way or the other.

Yes, higgins, we need to know this for sure. The last time you said he wasn’t the murderer, now you’re sounding not so sure anymore. Please, tell us which it is going to be.

higgins wrote:
I was referring to a fact that my character will know enough of anatomy to order poisons with peculiar effects (say, not by type and delay, but based on effect. one that kills by attacking liver, etc) possibly to disable a servant or even god. But he ain't a doctor.
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Just as an aside, how do you se the character acquiring a Surgery skill without being a doctor?

It’s higgins’ call, of course, but the Surgery skill is part of his skill package and a possible explanation could be that before his priest rose through the ranks he served the temple in such a function. Like in a monastery, the temple priests are certain to have likely different duties.

_________________
My real name is Michael; use it, if you like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 2035
Location: Estonia
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Just as an aside, how do you se the character acquiring a Surgery skill without being a doctor?
Not like I have much choice with the skill packet system which I'm not a fan of. :roll: He knows anatomy. Has attended torture chambers mabybe... and after all he is a high-priest of a religion that deals regularly with human sacrifice.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Pac offers a full service. He can indeed accommodate even the most esoteric requirements. However, nobody knows that he believes that he has worked out how to poison a god. He simply laces all products ordered with what he believes to be a toxin inimical to the gods.
My idea was that my character has in some way, discovered that an organ of the servitors/gods that is especially vulnerable to poisons, and has ordered poisons targeting that specific organ from Pac. Pac being unaware that this specific poison has an effect on the gods. Now I see that you have a problem with that, as you want your character to be the sole person with some knowledge about killing the gods. I respect that, and I'll scratch my idea.

Grettir wrote:
higgins wrote:
Maybe not THE client...
Ian.Plumb wrote:
You'll need to decide one way or the other.
Yes, higgins, we need to know this for sure. The last time you said he wasn’t the murderer, now you’re sounding not so sure anymore. Please, tell us which it is going to be.
Make him a regular client who buys various poisons from Pac, possibly including that god-killer poison, but he's not the one who actually poisoned the god who is now dead.

_________________
"Brothels are a much sounder investment than ships, I've found. Whores seldom sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin like everyone else."
- Lord Petyr Baelish, A Game of Thrones


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ian.Plumb wrote:
I don't think it is important. I'm not going to be spending any time in-game sculpting godstone. I don't expect Grettir to be building scenes around Pac's amazing sculpting talent. It is just a way of gaining access to the Temple District, at the cost of a Major Gift.


Grettir wrote:
It might become important for the story, this is something I cannot yet say, but it will certainly give Pac few benefits that could be quantified into game-terms. The Gift is something that makes Pac important to the temple, first and foremost economically. If your city is able to shape the godstone, and others aren’t, your city has a powerful leverage in trade, and city, temple and priests could well get filthy rich.

Which is why I’d like to know if you’d like this Gift to be something inherent or something that can be taught, and wether Pac’s apprentices and journeymen can work the godstone without Pac’s supervision or cooperation.


I see it as being inherent. As such it can't be taught. I've never been into buying/buying off of Gifts and Flaws through SA expenditure.

higgins wrote:
I was referring to a fact that my character will know enough of anatomy to order poisons with peculiar effects (say, not by type and delay, but based on effect. one that kills by attacking liver, etc) possibly to disable a servant or even god. But he ain't a doctor.


Ian.Plumb wrote:
Just as an aside, how do you se the character acquiring a Surgery skill without being a doctor?


Grettir wrote:
It’s higgins’ call, of course, but the Surgery skill is part of his skill package and a possible explanation could be that before his priest rose through the ranks he served the temple in such a function. Like in a monastery, the temple priests are certain to have likely different duties.


Oh, I took the meaning to be that he'd never been a healer. My bad.

Regards,

_________________
Ian Plumb
Illustrations for Gamers
Lyonpaedia
Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:06 am
Posts: 1495
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe
higgins wrote:
Make him a regular client who buys various poisons from Pac, possibly including that god-killer poison, but he's not the one who actually poisoned the god who is now dead.

Definitely a client, but definitely not the God-murdering client. Got it.

higgins wrote:
Not like I have much choice with the skill packet system which I'm not a fan of. :roll: He knows anatomy. Has attended torture chambers mabybe... and after all he is a high-priest of a religion that deals regularly with human sacrifice.

If you’ve got a problem with this particular skill you can switch it against another skill that is more in line with your vision; such minor changes are no problem. It would have to be something that makes sense for a clergyman, though.

By the way, Ian, the same holds true for you and some of the skills from the Assassin package, which is a bit more sneaky than I think you are envisioning Pac Utal. If ypu want you can switch some of those skills for other skills that would make more sense to you for a poisoner to have.

And that applies to all of you, folks. View the packages as guidelines, with minor and sensible tweaks to them totally ok. Things like that can always be talked about.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
I see it as being inherent. As such it can't be taught. I've never been into buying/buying off of Gifts and Flaws through SA expenditure.

Same here, but this was also not what I was getting at with the question; I wanted to know just how valuable Pac Utal is to the priests. With the shaping being nothing that can be taught Pac is therefore just about the single most valuable citizen.

With the gift being something inborn I assume that you envision all of Pac’s employees who also possess it to be close or distant relatives of his, right? Would actually make sense in a caste-society.

_________________
My real name is Michael; use it, if you like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ian.Plumb wrote:
I don't think it is important. I'm not going to be spending any time in-game sculpting godstone. I don't expect Grettir to be building scenes around Pac's amazing sculpting talent. It is just a way of gaining access to the Temple District, at the cost of a Major Gift.


Until I commission you to scupt this:

godstone axe

Which brings to me to the question. Can godstone chip godstone?

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Last edited by Crow Caller on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Hmm, anyone know how to scale pics down??

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group              Designed by QuakeZone