It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Character Creation
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:06 am 

I’m really pleased with the level of interest players take in each other’s character concept and how you try to create connections between them. You working other PCs into your PCs backstories or creating some other kind of connection is exactly why I wanted to o character creation communally, and in stages.

I overlooked this:
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Did we have this step in The Parched Lands exercise? I thought we just laid our characters out based on what we knew of the setting, and then we modified the setting (mainly additional detail) and shaped the characters to ensure that was some inevitable connection between them?
No, we didn’t have it, though I would have liked to have it. If I remember correctly, when we decided to continue right into character and kicker creation I asked you for a character concept, meaning really only a concept, but failing to communicate this clearly. When you came up with the wonderful Arcelina character I didn’t feel like telling you that you had given me much more than I had intended to ask for, as there was no actual play going to follow anyhow. This time, though, knowing my failure to properly communicate the last time around, I intended to make it very clear right from the beginning that I merely wanted a character idea. In my experience it is easier to make character ideas blend well than already fully fleshed-out characters.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Originally, my thinking went like this: (…)
The cities as a social experiment and as a repository for food. Why not? I don’t like the Gods to be quite as powerful as you envision them, but your idea would still work with less powerful Gods who have merely altered the jungle but not outright created it just as well, so that’s a minor point.

I for my own part have not viewed the Gods a sleeping (and somehow near immortal, as you seem to imply), but as a race who has gone into total seclusion, living in splendour, attended by a host of Servitors and human slaves – provided them by the cities, as the sacrifices are really spirited away to the Forbidden City where they are to serve the Gods’ cruel whims.

Then, suddenly, possibly because the source that powers the Gods’ artefacts begins to fail and can be expect to falter completely within a century, the Gods decide to conserve power by relying much more on human labour than on their techno-magical gadgets to ensure their continued comfort. They reappear and ask for children whom they will supposedly take into paradise, when in reality they merely want slaves young enough to be still conditioned into total obedience and overawed reverence.

Crow Caller wrote:
I have thought about the gods' role in the world a bit. (…)
The queue forms to the right…

We’ve now seen several propositions, and I would very much like to hear everybody’s opinion. What take on the Gods do you guys prefer?

Ian.Plumb wrote:
The gods retreated, summoning the children of men to them, and raised the mounds. Around the mounds they created the last bulwark against the encroaching jungle. They taught the priests how to maintain the defensive work.
Crow Caller wrote:
They did this over a time, the reason behind it was that humanity would see their surroundings as a Hell on Earth. Then they rose the great mounds and made them a veritable paradise and took mankind from the Jungle and placed them in their Great Cties. In this way the "liberated" mankind, and "ascended" to "godhood".
I think that there will be little disagreement tht this is the general direction we should head down. The city-dwellers’ mythology is that they were originally living into the terrible jungles, possible created by an earlier generation of gods (many ancient mythologies held that the current gods where not identical with the creators of the world, whom they overthrew and replaced). When the Gods took over, they created the mounds and led all men into safety. From this ascend to the mounds, the city-dwellers still call themelves the “Ascended”. Some of the Ascended did later turn their back in ingratitude upon the Gods and again descended the mounts to live in the jungle, where they devolved into subhuman beasts; these are, of course, the Descended, whose very name implies that they were once living on the mounds.

Of course, the Descended themselves may see things differently, or at the very least colour the mercy of the Gods and their own alleged ingratitude differently.

Crow Caller wrote:
I defintely like the idea, I just wonder where would these wars be fought?
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Think ritualised raids rather than wars with battles.
Ian’s got it right. I’ve never viewed the moundtop-cities as walled, and battles could be fought at the foot of the mounds, amidst the earth-oil pits. For the ritualized wars, look into the Aztecs’ Flower Wars, with the sole exception that ours would be fought for slaves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:10 am 

Jake Norwood wrote:
My first idea is an old warrior, a 60-something-year-old bodyguard to one of the priestesses (we still have those?) who really should retire, but is enslaved by his own sense of duty, devotion, and the belief that it's just too late to change now.

I like the grizzled old veteran type long past his prime; he’s interesting, and while you see him often in fiction, you don’t encounter him so often in roleplaying, which is a shame, really. There should also be no problem whatsoever to tie him to the other characters.

And yes, we’re still absolutely having the priestesses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:24 am 

Grettir wrote:
I’m really pleased with the level of interest players take in each other’s character concept and how you try to create connections between them. You working other PCs into your PCs backstories or creating some other kind of connection is exactly why I wanted to o character creation communally, and in stages.

Incase you can't tell I love this shared Character creation stuff. It just screams out for ways to link Characters together by various degrees. Not to mention simultaneously fueling the creativity.

Quote:
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Originally, my thinking went like this: (…)
The cities as a social experiment and as a repository for food. Why not? I don’t like the Gods to be quite as powerful as you envision them, but your idea would still work with less powerful Gods who have merely altered the jungle but not outright created it just as well, so that’s a minor point.

I like the altered veiw better, it ties equally well into them being magical (but not omnipotent) or them being technological (terraforming).

Quote:
I for my own part have not viewed the Gods a sleeping (and somehow near immortal, as you seem to imply), but as a race who has gone into total seclusion, living in splendour, attended by a host of Servitors and human slaves – provided them by the cities, as the sacrifices are really spirited away to the Forbidden City where they are to serve the Gods’ cruel whims.

I would like them to be long lived, they just don't seem very godlike to me if they are as short lived as humans. I find it interesting that both Ian and I had the same idea of the gods slumbering, it could be mystical torpor, or perhaps a more scientific stasis?

Quote:
Then, suddenly, possibly because the source that powers the Gods’ artefacts begins to fail and can be expect to falter completely within a century, the Gods decide to conserve power by relying much more on human labour than on their techno-magical gadgets to ensure their continued comfort. They reappear and ask for children whom they will supposedly take into paradise, when in reality they merely want slaves young enough to be still conditioned into total obedience and overawed reverence.

So the sacrifices aren't actually killed? I thought that they would have been a bloody and public affair.

Perhaps they taken of the children is the beginning of the slavery?

Quote:
Crow Caller wrote:
I have thought about the gods' role in the world a bit. (…)
The queue forms to the right…

We’ve now seen several propositions, and I would very much like to hear everybody’s opinion. What take on the Gods do you guys prefer?
Yes by all means people speak up! ;)

Quote:
I think that there will be little disagreement tht this is the general direction we should head down. The city-dwellers’ mythology is that they were originally living into the terrible jungles, possible created by an earlier generation of gods (many ancient mythologies held that the current gods where not identical with the creators of the world, whom they overthrew and replaced). When the Gods took over, they created the mounds and led all men into safety. From this ascend to the mounds, the city-dwellers still call themelves the “Ascended”. Some of the Ascended did later turn their back in ingratitude upon the Gods and again descended the mounts to live in the jungle, where they devolved into subhuman beasts; these are, of course, the Descended, whose very name implies that they were once living on the mounds.

Yes I think the key is that the gods brought the people up and out of the Jungle to inhabit these Paradise Cities.

Quote:
Of course, the Descended themselves may see things differently, or at the very least colour the mercy of the Gods and their own alleged ingratitude differently.

Perhaps the Descended hold to an older tradition that teaches that the Jungle was once a Paradise that provided everything for their ancestors, the people lived as one with nature, then the gods came and built their abominations, the Jungles rebeled agaisnt these cities and grew wild and dangerous. Thus the gods are the cause of the problems, not the liberators.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Perhaps the Descended hold to an older tradition that teaches that the Jungle was once a Paradise that provided everything for their ancestors, the people lived as one with nature, then the gods came and built their abominations, the Jungles rebeled agaisnt these cities and grew wild and dangerous. Thus the gods are the cause of the problems, not the liberators.

A belief like that could very well be extant among the Descended. The way they are scattered over a vast area of jungle there is room for many different believes and customs, the one you have just outlined certainly among them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:28 am 

Grettir wrote:
Crow Caller wrote:

A belief like that could very well be extant among the Descended. The way they are scattered over a vast area of jungle there is room for many different believes and customs, the one you have just outlined certainly among them.

I think that this will most likely be my Character's belief. I want to have a reason to hate the Cities and the gods, but I also want to try and incorporate Ian's idea of him having a reason to need the City. ??

I'm open for any ideas, if you can work them into what I've already got that's great, if you can think of something even better, well then that's bette isn't it ;)

One small thing I would like to have for Flavour reasons. Whilst City Folk (The Ascended) are called by their names, like Pac and P'tah etc. etc. I would like it if Descended were called by their name meaning, like Jade Tear, Running Bird, or Swims like Rock.

I think this helps define the Primitiveness of the Descended against the Sophistication of the Ascended. It also IMO adds flabour. I mean in Real Life Sitting Bull's name was actually Ta-Tanka I-Yotank, just doesn't have the same feel does it. Likewise my name means Tall Leader in Real Life but people don't go around calling me that, our Society has become more Sophisticated and names don't hold the same meaning, so people call me Grant but don't really no what it means.

So for my own Character I'm thinking along the lines of Ghost Jaguar, which if he was an Ascended would be Balam Ikal.

Is this cool?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:42 pm 

I'm good with either version of the gods. I do want some reason to stay in the city, though, since I don't see my character leaving it. Not that it wouldn't happen, I'm just not envisioning it right now.

CC, I'm good with those interrelations.

Jake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:47 pm 

Jake Norwood wrote:
I'm good with either version of the gods. I do want some reason to stay in the city, though, since I don't see my character leaving it. Not that it wouldn't happen, I'm just not envisioning it right now.

CC, I'm good with those interrelations.

Jake

Sweet! I think I have given my character enough reasons to stay in the City for quite some time, despite his wanting to return to the Jungle. Infact I don't really see him ever returning to the Jungle, though that really depends on play, who knows maybe he'll free his familly and escape in the week of play, though I doubt it :P

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:10 pm 

Hm, seems I'm the dead last with submitting my concept. I was actually torn between warrior type (which I find interesting) and priest (which I find very unusual) ... but since Hector nailed my initial concept a 100%, and since basically all other castes are already here, I'm thinking a priest character.

No hard feelings, Hector, I'm actually pleased as playing a priest will probably be more challenging. I see him as... middle aged or so.. High ranking, important figure who's probably very annoyed if the gods start showing up and undermining his supreme authority. Maybe the Jake's character is protecting my characters daughter? Maybe my character commanded to search a new bodyguard for the daughter and we could incorporate Hector there (priestess instead of a slave girl)? Just tossing out ideas here.

My main issue is that we spent most of the time going over the jungle issue, and the religious theme and workings seem rather vague to me. What would his daily life consist of? How martial the temple intrigues are? How often assassinations occur to gain a higher ranking? etc. I know I could offer solutions to these myself, but since I came up with the main mortal-gods thing which caught on, I'd be happy to give others a chance to flesh out the details. :)

Grettir wrote:
That's pretty much how I saw it. :) Nothing special about them, except that they know how to use the Artefacts and so they are able to extend their lives and this has possibly mutated them a bit (as Michael described them being somewhat different).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:40 pm 

First of all I've edited the first post in this thread to now contain the priority chart for character creation. You may start stattig out your characters if you like, but leave the SAs for now out. We still need to talk a bit about what your characters will be doing and how they are going to be linked.

Higgins, your concept is nice, I'm glad we're having a priest. The way you describe it I get the impression that this guy will be rather on the power-mad than the devout side. Do you see him trying most of all to preserve the status quo before the Gods returned? In which general direction do you intend to take him?

higgins wrote:
What would his daily life consist of? How martial the temple intrigues are? How often assassinations occur to gain a higher ranking? etc. I know I could offer solutions to these myself, but since I came up with the main mortal-gods thing which caught on, I'd be happy to give others a chance to flesh out the details. :)

The majority seems to be alright with my last proposal for the Gods, the reason for their return and the sacrifices, but I think that religious life will better be discussed more fully when we are totally in the clear about how malevolent a force the priests have been hitherto. But even with a basically benevolent and reasonably devout clerical caste I see quite a lot of intrigue going on in the temples. The daily religious life should better be, well, a mixture of rather relaxed on the one hand and highly esoteric and ritualized on the other. I see these guys rather performing divinatory rituals and anointing the statues of the gods then chanting in some chapel or praying the rosary for hours on end.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:39 pm 

Grettir wrote:
The way you describe it I get the impression that this guy will be rather on the power-mad than the devout side. Do you see him trying most of all to preserve the status quo before the Gods returned?
Absolutely... I see him as sort of inquisitor type. If he knows something about the Artefacts, he'll probably want to use those to bring the reign back into his own hands again. Maybe even as going so far to extract information from a servitor... though I'm not sure yet what means he could use. Most likely he'll be more anxious to capture a renegade servitor for gaining information about this new "threat" than the gods themselves are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:53 pm 

higgins wrote:
Most likely he'll be more anxious to capture a renegade servitor for gaining information about this new "threat" than the gods themselves are.

There may not even be a renegade, unless you feel that your character's story needs one. I have included the possibility that Servitors go renegade mainly for the purpose of making them more viable choices as PCs.

higgins wrote:
I see him as sort of inquisitor type. If he knows something about the Artefacts, he'll probably want to use those to bring the reign back into his own hands again.

I'm looking forward to it. Something that needs at this stage careful consideration is how your character is going to stand with the others with a temple-affiliation. There seems to be little chance that a ruling priest (the social A pick you need for your concept makes him one of the temple's top ten guys) will be on friendly terms with a subhuman Descended slave, but there could be ties to Hector's warrior. The clearest setup can probably achieved with Jake's old veteran bodyguard; such a guy is probably assigned to another senior priestess, and she and your guy could either be allies or rivals, depending on your wishes.

Also, think about the power of the artefact in your temple's possession; a ruling priest has access to it (though of course not unchecked one).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:24 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Hector wrote:
I'm considering a warrior. He's fairly experienced, having been fortunate enough to avoid being sacrificed thus far and until recently he's been a loyal servant of the Gods. Recently, however, he's getting tired; tired of the screams and pleas for mercy. That there's a young labourer girl who's caught his eye might also have something to do with it.

How about a young slave girl who just so happens to be my Characters wife?

To be honest, while that could be interesting, I'd prefer to stick with a labourer; he's already risking execution should it go any further than her having caught his eye (which it may well), so I doubt he'd risk that with a married woman. Willing to take risks for love? Absolutely. Willing to do so with another man's wife? No. I'm thinking he'd be honourable enough that while he'd be tempted, he'd also try to avoid all contact with her to help him resist it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 am 

Okay how about this for a Character map?

My Character is Higgins Slave. Hector is also in Close contact with Higgins, one of his guards (perhaps even senior). My Character basically works as a porter between the Temple and Ian's shop, Hector often escorts me. On one such trip Ian's Character's niece (?) caught Hector's Character's eye.

Jake's PC is the Senor guard of a highpriestess. My PC's wife and daughter are Slaves in the Priestess service. Over the Past year Jake's PC has come to veiw my PC's daughter, as his own daughter or perhaps granddaughter. He has also noticed that My PC and his wife are infact married, something I see as forbidden amongst Slaves. So far he has decided not to say anything.

With the Return of the gods my PC's daughter is taken by them.

Any good?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:18 am 

Grettir wrote:
Racial Picks:

A: God – don’t play one of these guys, please.

B: Powerful Servitor – Six levels of Vagaries, none higher than 2; attribute bonus of +3 spread among two or three attributes (conceptually connected to what he was changed for, not WP); either a major flaw or a minor flaw and one attribute of choice at –1 (again conceptually connected what he was changed for); Divine Etiquette at (Best Package)-2; Sign Language (of the Gods) at (Best Package); Theology at (Best Package)+1; Secret Language (of the Gods) at (Best Package)+2; God Lore (actual hard facts!) at (Best Package)+3.

C: Weak Servitor – Two Vagaries at 1; two attributes of choice at +1 (conceptually connected to what he was changed for, not WP); either a major flaw or a minor flaw and one attribute of choice at –1 (again conceptually connected what he was changed for); Divine Etiquette at (Best Package)-1; Sign Language (of the Gods) at (Best Package)+1; Theology at (Best Package)+2.

D: Descended-born – Not really a race apart, but natural selection in the jungle is so harsh as to ensure that only those who are fit and attentive and can think on their feet live to see adulthood; people who did not spend their childhood in the jungle but descended later need not have this racial package. HT+1, Wit+1, Per+1, Survival at (Best Package)-2.

E: Ascended-born – Born in a city and having spent at least the better part of childhood there.

F: Ascended-born – Born in a city and having spent at least the better part of childhood there.

Racial modifiers stack on top of the usual limit of a high-score of 7.

Social Picks:

Are these taken ontop of the usual racial modifiers for humans? Like in Weyrth each Nationality has different modifiers. The reason I ask is becuase I was going to suggest using Picti as Descended and maybe Falhal for the Ascended though with the Racial Stat mods changed around (-1 TO, -1 WP, +1 Soc, +1 MA, and +3 Faith).

Or are we just going with the flat no mods, and then your racial pick might modify this. So Ascended have no mods.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:54 am 

With gifts and flaws. If we take an extra Flaw do we get an Extra Gift? I can't remember which veiw you held on this so I thought I'd just ask.

Cheers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next