It is currently Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Actual Play: Setting Creation
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:47 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Can we create our characters now?

Grettir wrote:
Starting tomorrow, I think. I just want to talk a bit more about the cities and the society there. After all this talk about the jungle I think it is high time for that, as this is where the vast majority of the game is intended to be set; we have after all also been aiming for a flavour akin to Arabian Nights.

I'm not creating an exotic character so I've put the outline up. No numbers, just background to highlight the character's pressure points.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:28 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
I'm not creating an exotic character so I've put the outline up. No numbers, just background to highlight the character's pressure points.

I would have actually wanted to ask everybody to initially post only a very vague and sketchy character concept, with absolutely no specifics or any actual background and under no circumstances longer than five lines and have actualy already prepared the text for my request, but there you go. It's a tiny bit awkward that you have already done more than that, but certainly no big deal whatsoever.

I just want to ask anybody else to, if somehow possible, at this time not give thought to their character past the conceptual idea stage. Please don't think up any nifty backstories right now, they will only make it more difficult to integrate your character with the others.

Anyway, I hope/assume that everybody is ok with what we've got so far and will soon open a character creation thread -- which is of course not to say that you are not to post here anymore and ask for adjustments of the setting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:58 pm 

Guys, I’ve uploaded a bit of inspirational imagery as a WinRAR file of 2.67 MB. You can get it right here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:04 pm 

Grettir wrote:
I would have actually wanted to ask everybody to initially post only a very vague and sketchy character concept, with absolutely no specifics or any actual background and under no circumstances longer than five lines and have actualy already prepared the text for my request, but there you go. It's a tiny bit awkward that you have already done more than that, but certainly no big deal whatsoever.

No problem -- I'll delete the thread and add the sketch.

There's nothing set in concrete -- it's just an outline. Like you mentioned to Jake, the characters drop out of the setting very neatly.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:26 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
No problem -- I'll delete the thread and add the sketch

And like I said in the character creation thread, no such drastic step would have been necessary.

Anyway, your original outline prompted me to cook up the following concerning the sacrifices:

Let’s say there is one main sacrifice every year, like Ian suggested. Being this sacrifice is the honour that people compete for, and the victim will be some kind of patron-saint of the city for the year to come; he is assisting the Gods in protecting the city.

But he can’t do that alone; he needs helpers, the blood of other sacrifices. On every holy day, a person needs to be sacrificed – and there are about fifty such days in a year. These sacrifices will not ascend to the Gods, they will become a kind of fuel and sustenance for the main sacrifice. Very devout or very community-minded people consider it even an honour to be sacrificed in that way, but most don’t. There are very few volunteers; about 90% of the sacrifices have to come from elsewhere. This source is criminals and malcreants. The punishment for even middling crimes is sacrification. The temple holds cells where a small “supply” of victims is incarcerated for some time, so that they are at hand for holy days.

And the sacrifices themselves are conducted in a gruesome manner.

Does this disrupt anybody's visions for the setting or are you all ok with that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:10 pm 

Grettir wrote:
Let’s say there is one main sacrifice every year, like Ian suggested. Being this sacrifice is the honour that people compete for, and the victim will be some kind of patron-saint of the city for the year to come; he is assisting the Gods in protecting the city.

I like that.

Grettir wrote:
But he can’t do that alone; he needs helpers, the blood of other sacrifices. On every holy day, a person needs to be sacrificed – and there are about fifty such days in a year.

In the Georgian period in England cities the size of ours would have had no problem supplying 50 criminals a year who had performed capital punishments -- but only if there is a class of citizen that is at or below the poverty-line within the city. I'm not sure there should be a systemic poverty-class if the gods have engineered the cities for the purpose of holding as many people as possible.

So, do we have a large poverty-ridden underclass in the cities?

On the other hand with city populations at 20k to 100k I'm sure 50 miscreants can be found each year...

Grettir wrote:
These sacrifices will not ascend to the Gods, they will become a kind of fuel and sustenance for the main sacrifice. Very devout or very community-minded people consider it even an honour to be sacrificed in that way, but most don’t. There are very few volunteers; about 90% of the sacrifices have to come from elsewhere. This source is criminals and malcreants. The punishment for even middling crimes is sacrification. The temple holds cells where a small “supply” of victims is incarcerated for some time, so that they are at hand for holy days.

And the sacrifices themselves are conducted in a gruesome manner.

Does this disrupt anybody's visions for the setting or are you all ok with that?

No problem to me.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
I'm not sure there should be a systemic poverty-class if the gods have engineered the cities for the purpose of holding as many people as possible.
So, do we have a large poverty-ridden underclass in the cities?

I have the suspicion that the Gods have not originally demanded this number of sacrifices; maybe just one additional one for every harvest. It’s the priests who have ever so slowly canked the number of sacrifices up to that number, as the reign of blood tightens their holds over the cities.

So no, I don’t see a large poverty-ridden underclass.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
On the other hand with city populations at 20k to 100k I'm sure 50 miscreants can be found each year...

No prob for the 100k, but very much so for the 20k. For them, 50 is a quarter percent of their total population, not counting priests. I don’t know crime statistics, but what society has ever executed 0.25 % of their own number every year? Statistics suggest that everybody experiences somebody he knows being sacrificed against his will every few years, and I think that’s chilling enough.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:49 pm 

Yeah, this looks great, guys.

Jake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:26 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:

Grettir wrote:
No prob for the 100k, but very much so for the 20k. For them, 50 is a quarter percent of their total population, not counting priests. I don’t know crime statistics, but what society has ever executed 0.25 % of their own number every year? Statistics suggest that everybody experiences somebody he knows being sacrificed against his will every few years, and I think that’s chilling enough.

It wouldn't be sustainable over the longer period, unless you up both the birth rate and the survivability rate above earth-normal medieval period. Rather than having a more advanced medical capability I suggest making it a sliding scale of sacrifice based on city population.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:59 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Ian.Plumb wrote:

Grettir wrote:

It wouldn't be sustainable over the longer period, unless you up both the birth rate and the survivability rate above earth-normal medieval period. Rather than having a more advanced medical capability I suggest making it a sliding scale of sacrifice based on city population.

Regards,

Going by modern day Birth rates, of 2.5 kids to a family, that's a growth rate of 800ish per year given 30 year genertations, 1000 for 25 year generation. Isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I actually kind of like the idea of the Priests engineering some of the Sacrifices just to "cull the heard" so to speak, to keep the Cities population in Check. Along with natural death, accidents, murder, wars, and those who retreat to the Jungles, it would be a pretty effective way of stopping the Cities from over-populating.

Thoughts?

PS: excuse the maths, my heads a bt foggy today and I'm sure its wrong somehow :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:41 am 

The modern birth rate is just over 20 babies per 1,000 population per year. For 20k population that's 400 babies per year.

The modern death rate is about 10 per 1,000 population per year. For 20k population that's 200 people dying of natural causes each year.

This doesn't take into account deaths of children under 5 (the Infant Mortality Rate and the Child Mortality Rate). If you look at countries without ready access to modern medicine and/or with major internal conflicts the rates are staggering. For example, 28% of those born do not make it to 5 years of age in Sierra Leone. Even if we went for 10% that's 40 of the 400 babies born each year to our 20k population.

The last factor is the unnatural deaths for those over five -- accidents, warfare, and so on. Are our cities dangerous, aside from the sacrifices?

Anyway, 400 births, 40 lost by the age of 5 leaves 360. 200 natural causes deaths leaves 160. Some number of unnatural deaths per year. 50 sacrifices. This number could easily be in balance.

Is that the aim?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:46 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Is that the aim?

Regards,

I think it would be cool if the Priests had taken the Sacrifices and then increased them to keep the population in check.

Perhaps the City could support another 10k, but then the Priests would have to live like everyone else? And so to maintain their standards of living they cull the heard.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:19 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
I actually kind of like the idea of the Priests engineering some of the Sacrifices just to "cull the heard" so to speak, to keep the Cities population in Check. Along with natural death, accidents, murder, wars, and those who retreat to the Jungles, it would be a pretty effective way of stopping the Cities from over-populating.
Crow Caller wrote:
I think it would be cool if the Priests had taken the Sacrifices and then increased them to keep the population in check.
Perhaps the City could support another 10k, but then the Priests would have to live like everyone else? And so to maintain their standards of living they cull the heard.

Let’s say for now that all of the above is a very definite possibility. It can stand for now as an assumption, but let’s not write it into stone yet.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
For example, 28% of those born do not make it to 5 years of age in Sierra Leone. Even if we went for 10% that's 40 of the 400 babies born each year to our 20k population.

In the early 19th century Europe, even among reasonably comfortable burghers in the city with enough funds to consult a doctor if the need was pressing, child mortality was at almost 50%. I think we can ver comfortably put our chld mortality at at least 25%, for 100 out of the 400 babies.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Anyway, 400 births, 40 lost by the age of 5 leaves 360. 200 natural causes deaths leaves 160. Some number of unnatural deaths per year. 50 sacrifices. This number could easily be in balance.
Is that the aim?

Even with the increased cild mortality, the number could indeed balance. Which was indeed my aim in throwing out the number intuitively.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Rather than having a more advanced medical capability I suggest making it a sliding scale of sacrifice based on city population.

Yes, that’s the best approach. We don’t need a definite number, it’s sufficient that all players are aware that the number of sacrifices is large, but not crushing. A sacrficie every couple of days, but not daily or hourly sacrifices. Gruesome, but not prohibitive. Part of the priests’ perceived responsibility is to constantly read the portents and question the oracles wether the Gods need new sacrifices to sustain the cities.

Of course, the priests’ real reason for cranking up sacrifices is quite possibly to put the fear of the Gods (or rather their servants) into the people whenever they seem to get restless, and to keep population levels at either a managable level or one that ensures the continued comfort of the priests.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:35 am 

I thought that I would post this here rather than in the Character Creation thread as this could have a wider impact on the Setting than just my Character.

Anyway, when going over the Character Creation in the Core, reacquainting myself with the Priority pick, I came across the 3 human racial picks, D, E, & F respectively. Since I am going to play a Slave, it means that my racial will most likely fall on E. I remembered reading somewhere that such a pick might have something special about it.

I'll find out where it is written and give an example...

...5 minuets later...

...Ah, okay its in the Companion (surprise surprise, I love that book lol) on page 11 and 12.

Basically you take an E or D pick and you get some sort of cool power, like perhaps being able to see in the dark, or breathe underwater etc. etc.

They suggest two ways of doing it, either the GM and Player work together to come up with an idea, or the GM comes up with something and the PC discovers it through play. I personally like the latter, however for this game if we are to use such a rule at all I wouldn't mind working with everyone to come up with a few cool ideas.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:41 am 

Grettir wrote:
Let’s say for now that all of the above is a very definite possibility. It can stand for now as an assumption, but let’s not write it into stone yet.

Ofcourse ;)

Quote:
In the early 19th century Europe, even among reasonably comfortable burghers in the city with enough funds to consult a doctor if the need was pressing, child mortality was at almost 50%. I think we can ver comfortably put our chld mortality at at least 25%, for 100 out of the 400 babies.

If we do this, and I'm fine with it, then it needs to be taken into consideration that Children are even more prescious. This would have a big effect on anyone playing a Character with a Child, or with living parents. It can even have a big impact on Jake's character who doesn't have children but wants them. etc. etc.

It would definitely make the gods taking the children an even bigger deal.

Quote:
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Rather than having a more advanced medical capability I suggest making it a sliding scale of sacrifice based on city population.

Yes, that’s the best approach. We don’t need a definite number, it’s sufficient that all players are aware that the number of sacrifices is large, but not crushing. A sacrficie every couple of days, but not daily or hourly sacrifices. Gruesome, but not prohibitive. Part of the priests’ perceived responsibility is to constantly read the portents and question the oracles wether the Gods need new sacrifices to sustain the cities.

Of course, the priests’ real reason for cranking up sacrifices is quite possibly to put the fear of the Gods (or rather their servants) into the people whenever they seem to get restless, and to keep population levels at either a managable level or one that ensures the continued comfort of the priests.

Cool.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next